This page lists telephone hotlines that Illinois residents can call to obtain information about resources for families in Illinois.
- Adoption Information (800) 572-2390 This hotline provides adoption and foster parent information and referral.
- Adult Learning and General Education Hotline (800) 321-9511 This is a referral service for students, volunteers, and employers to Adult Literacy, Adult Education Programs, and sites for GED test preparation classes and GED tests throughout Illinois.
- AIDS, HIV and STD Hotline (800) 243-2437 This hotline provides information for people with these conditions and also for their families and friends.
- Child Abuse Hotline (800) 252-2873 This service of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services provides information on reporting of suspected child abuse cases.
- Child Support Action Line (800) 447-4278 This service provides help in establishing paternity or in child support enforcement.
- Dental Referral Services (800) 252-2930 Sponsored by the Illinois Dental Society, this recorded message lists a number of dental resources, including qualifications for receiving the services and telephone numbers for contacting them.
- Department of Human Services Helpline (800) 843-6154 or
TTY (800) 447-6404.
This number provides referral to various services of this state government agency including food stamp and cash assistance; mental health assistance; public health services for women, infants, and children; and assistance for people with disabilities.
- Foster Parenting Hotline (800) 624-5437 This inquiry line answers questions from potential and already licensed foster parents and refers interested individuals to agencies that provide licensing training to become foster parents.
- Gang Crime Prevention Center of Illinois (888) 411-4192 This information line assists parents concerned with their child's involvement, or the prevention of their child's involvement, in gangs.
- Human Services Help Me Grow Helpline: (800) 323-4769 This helpline is an automated office locator for WIC and Early Intervention Services. No voice connection, only recorded address and phone number information is given. If you need more detailed information about programs and services provided by the Illinois Department of Human Services, please call 1-800-843-6154.
- I-SEARCH Hotline (800) 843-4763 This is the division of the Illinois State Police that helps find mission children and their abductors.
- Illinois Poison Center(800) 222-1222 This toll-free line assists parents when children have consumed or come into
contact with volatile chemicals (or dangerous substances). Callers may ask both
emergency and general questions. Information is provided in both English and
- Lekotek Toy Resource Helpline (800) 366-PLAY This is a toll-free service to parents of children with disabilities, their friends, family and the professionals who work with them by offering individualized assistance in selecting appropriate toys and play materials. The hotline is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Central Time).
- Literacy Hotline (800) 321-9511 This service refers adults to Adult Basic Education, English as a Second Language, and GED classes in Chicago and the suburbs.
- Parent Help Line (888) 727-5889 [In Springfield: (217) 544-5808]
Trained volunteers provide referrals to community resources, help parents find solutions to parenting problems, and offer referrals to appropriate parenting classes, particularly in Springfield and the surrounding area.
- Public Aid Inquiry (800) 252-8635 A hotline to provide information, resolve problems of aid recipients, and report possible fraud in public aid.
- School Violence Tipline (800) 477-0024 Students can report threats of violence anonymously to this statewide, toll-free hotline.
- State Board of Education Problem Resolution Office (800) 215-6379 Parents, teachers, or students can call this number for assistance in answering questions and resolving complaints about school related issues in any Illinois location.
- Tough Love International (800) 926-KIDS (5437) This hotline for Illinois residents provides support for parents of troubled teenagers or adult children.